Monday, July 19, 2010

Fermented Dill Pickles in a Crock



  • 4 lbs. 4" pickling cucumbers
  • 2 T Dill seed or 4-5 heads fresh or dry dill weed
  • 1/2 C Pickling salt
  • 1/4 C Vinegar
  • 8 C Water
  • 2 Cloves garlic (optional)
  • 2 t Whole mixed pickling spices

Wash cucumbers. Cut 1/16" slice off the blossom end. Leave about 1/4" of the stem on the other end. Place half of the dill and pickling spices on the bottom of the crock. Add cucumbers, remaining dill and spices. Dissolve salt in vinegar and water and pour over the cucumbers.

Store where temperature is between 70 - 75 degrees for about 3-4 weeks while fermenting. Avoid temperatures above 80 degrees or pickles will become too soft during fermentation. Check container several times a week and remove surface scum or mold.

If pickles become soft, slimy or develop a disagreeable order, discard them. Pickles can be stored in the crock for 4 - 6 months if refrigerated and scum and mold are removed regularly. A better approach is to can them.

I first found this recipe at the Clemson Cooperative Extension. Although the link isn't valid anymore, I'm sure if you search the site you'll find that recipe as well as some other great ones.

4 comments:

Dale said...

That sounds very good but I'm surprised at the small amount of vinegar. Nice blog by the way.

Dale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PhiliaDiDi said...

Thanks Dale. Yeah, not too much vinegar but I guess its enough for fermentation. They taste pretty good. I just added another bakers dozen to the crock tonight. Give them a try once your crock arrives.

Dale said...

It's me back again a year later. I made two batches last year and can't wait for the cucumbers to grow so I can make more this year. The recipe that I used didn't call for any vinegar other than that it was much the same as yours. Also I added grape vine leaves this will keep the pickles crisp you can also use horseradish leaves. I did one batch in the crock and one in the picklemeister I made a couple of video on the methods that I used these are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6fNfpNA9tI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29wKelpejDw

There is a flaw in the second recipe there is way too much garlic but other than that it works very well.

Happy pickling.